HS_QGvZ-7Dpe1AKgjIPnaA_o24E

Friday, December 5, 2014

Hollandaise Sauce with a (mustard) Kick

Smoked salmon eggs Benedict
Yesterday, I served salmon steaks for lunch and I was looking to do a quick sauce to give them a kick. But not your usual hollandaise. I thought I'd experiment, and this is what I did:

1. Use an egg yolk or two, in a small saucepan;

2. Beat in with a whisk 2 or 3 tablespoonfuls of white wine;

3. Cook over a very, very slow fire (it shouldn't burn!), whisking continually and you'll see it turn into foam;

4. Once it's really foamy, take it off the fire and add small pats of butter, about 2 tablespoonfuls.

5. Add one tablespoon of French Dijon mustard (the refined kind - no seeds in it!)

6. Adjust to taste with salt, pepper and a dash of lemon.

Et voilà. Scrumptious with fish or any white meat or over Eggs Benedict, for a nice change of pace, if you served them over smoked salmon instead of ham!


No comments: